The AIDS Network respects your privacy. When you visit our web site, contact us, participate in one of our programs/events or make a donation, we are committed to protecting your privacy rights and your personal information under the Personal Information and Protection of Privacy and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA).
Our 10 Privacy Principles
- Our responsibility to protect your personal information while it is under our control and when third parties process it. The AIDS Network is responsible for the protection of your personal information collected through its agency office and program activities. This responsibility extends when personal information is transferred to or collected by third parties on our behalf. It is the responsibility of the Executive Director (Privacy Officer) to ensure that all third party contracts are in adherence with PIPEDA.
- Our obligation to identify the purposes for collecting personal information. Before we collect any personal information from you, we will identify the purpose for the collection. A statement of purposes will be communicated wherever possible.
- The requirement for knowledge and consent regarding the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information. We will only collect, use and disseminate personal information with your knowledge and consent, except in limited situations as permitted by law. This may be with your express consent or by declining an opportunity to opt-out of our collection or use of your personal information. Further, you can withdraw your consent to the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information at any time, subject to any legal requirements and reasonable notice.
- Limiting information collection. We only collect personal information relevant to the purposes that have been identified. We collect information fairly, lawfully and directly from individuals wherever possible. Fund-raising lists may be obtained from third parties. You have the right to provide as much or as little personal information as you choose to share. If you provide information about a family medical history, this information will be considered as your information only and not personal information of other family members.
- Limiting use, disclosure and retention of your information. We only use or disclose your personal information for the purposes we have identified to you.
- Our responsibility to ensure the accuracy of your personal information. PIPEDA requires that personal information be accurate, complete and as up to date as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it is used. At The AIDS Network, other than fund-raising lists, virtually all of the personal information that we collect comes directly from individuals. We assume this information is accurate and complete, unless we are informed otherwise by you.
- Our responsibility to safeguard your personal information. The AIDS Network uses appropriate safeguards to protect all personal information in its custody and control from theft, loss and unauthorized access, disclosure, copying or use.
- Your right to access your personal information Upon request, we will inform you if we hold any personal information about you and provide you with access to this information. If we have any personal information about you, we will also tell you for what purposes it is used and disclosed. You have the right to update any personal information that we hold on you. Should you wish to see the full contents of an information file, you must make a formal written request and mail it to the Executive Director.